Saturday 27 March 2021

The 40+ Dad

The 40+ Dad


A lot of my friends and family asks me how after 15 years of marriage does it look like I didn’t gain one centimeter on my waistline. I can contribute it to my genes but that’s only 50% of it.

About 12 years ago I decided to cut down on junk food. I started eating more healthy, exercising more and just living a more healthier life. As a dad it’s very important for me to be healthy for my family’s sake. Especially my daughters. So for me staying healthy and in shape is very important. 

So that's the physical side of my life. The outer appearance is also important, not the brands or expensive clothes but how the clothes fit and that’s important. It doesn’t matter if it’s an expensive brand or a locally made piece or from a general retail outlet but what matters is how your clothes fit on you. Understanding your body and how certain clothes and certain prints. Like horizontal stripes on a shirt, t-shirt or top makes you look bigger and adds more body weight, while vertical stripes makes you look thinner and taller. So these are just a few things that I have come to adjust in my styling. 

I make sure that my clothing sits properly on me and if it doesn’t then spend a few rand on a tailor to have it fit a bit better. But at the end of the day it about being positive in your own skin. I have always had a low self esteem growing up but when I started being more comfortable about who I am and accepting who I am, I started looking better after myself.

Being married, being a dad and working or having your own business doesn't mean you have to "let yourself go". 

But this is it for now, part 2 will be coming soon. 

Thank you for taking the time out to read it this short blog.


     

2 comments:

  1. I Fully agree with you there.Over 40years ago when we got married things were different though.Our wives back then would by us a T-shirt because it looked nice and thought we would look great in it.They would buy socks and underwear because it was a bargain where she saw it was.Respectable and grateful as we were we would say thankyou and that we liked it when asked whether we do.She would go into Edgars or Woolworths and see a cardigan that she though would be the ideal garment for when we go out and we would say thankyou.But after a while all these clothes would just pile up and the half wont be worn because we never liked it in the first place.Then the conversation had to happen that there are certain stuff that she should not buy as we as men would give our salaries off to our wives and the entire scenario had to change.You would only have one chance to do it and you need to make it very clear at what she shouldn't buy.Pants shirts and shoes and most definitely not ties.An opinion would be in order.Now all these happens around growing into your 40's and as you say your body weight as mine is genes dependant.I was never over 68kg in weight or an oversized waistline which means I stuck to my general fit menswear and a certain shoestyle with an original leather shine.I hate paton leather.My socks needs to fit what I'm wearing and I would never wear a pants without a belt even though the pants fit to the T.Its part of the dresscode.Then 'Slimfit' happened and I'm 20 years older @ 60 causing to change the entire wardrobe as the kids with their mom is back into the equation because I'm stuck in my general outfit.But then something happened.Because I never really developed a boop the slimfit fitted perfectly and was admired by many.The John Drakes and the Barker fortunately was always the loyal friends but with the slimfit the happy socks were introduced and we didin't see eye to eye at first as my two loyal friends, Mr John Drake and Mr Barker felt left out but I had to convince them to compromise for the sake of keeping the peace.Yes, I fully agree once more,a decent haircut, a clean shave or a neat hairline and a well rested and nourished body completes the entire Dress Code

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment, I fully agree with you. You even touched on a few of my next points. Once again thank you, much appreciated.

      Delete